Criminal and Traffic Improvement
Reducing In-Custody Transportation Costs
A significant cost and risk to the courts, law enforcement and the public is the transportation of in-custody defendants and patients for what are often brief proceedings such as arraignments, plea agreements and forensic mental health reviews. The CourtCall video platform increases efficiency and safety while reducing the costs of these proceedings. The advantages are clear regardless of which agency currently bears the costs or provides the transport of the in-custody participants.
Benefits of Remote Video Arraignment
- Reduces in-custody transportation costs for brief arraignments via video links between courtrooms, jails and secure correctional facilities.
- Enhances the safety and security of courtroom staff and the public by reducing the transport of in-custody defendants.
- Protects due process rights of in-custody defendants through accurate and clear video and audio without disruption to court proceedings.
- Permits confidential attorney/client communications through multi-channels on the platform.
- Simplifies court proceedings and improves administrative efficiency.
- Its Green! Reduces fuel usage and other transportation and environmental impacts.
Traffic Court Video Appearances
With fewer open courthouses and longer lines and waiting times to resolve traffic citations, CourtCall’s remote video technology provides motorists the opportunity to save time and costs by being heard remotely and creates greater efficiencies for the courts and law enforcement. More importantly, those contesting traffic citations need not be required to miss work, school or family obligations.
Benefits of Traffic Court Video Appearances
- Reduces time away from work or home and travel expenses for motorists who want to contest or resolve traffic citations.
- Allows law enforcement officers to remain in their communities and on the streets rather than making time-consuming trips to distant courthouses to appear on traffic citations.
- Enables budget-challenged courts to extend access to justice.
One Court’s Success - A Case Study
- As a result of budget reductions, the Fresno Superior Court was forced to close multiple courthouses in rural areas throughout the county. In an effort to increase access to the court for traffic proceedings for motorists and law enforcement agencies the Fresno Superior Court established sites in two remote cities: Coalinga and Mendota, respectively located 70 and 36 miles from the City of Fresno. The local cities provide a local public space for conducting a video hearing from where the motorist appears instead of traveling to Fresno.
- CourtCall has provided the remote video service for over 3 years on its video platform at the two remote locations and the Fresno Courthouse.
- The Fresno Superior Court reports strong support with the participating cities and high user satisfaction among motorists and law enforcement personnel.